5 Bean Chili

I could eat soups, stews and chili all year and sometimes I do but according to my husband fall and winter are the time of year for them.  Today I am adding another "soup" to my recipes.  This is a pretty simple chili recipe that my husband and I created after many attempts at getting it just right  several years ago.  It does make a big batch because we eat on it for a few days plus we not only eat it as chili we use it for chili/chips/cheese, waffle fries/chili/cheese, Petro's (a dear friend's recipe)  using Frito chips/chili and topping it like a taco salad and some others.  It freezes well so you could always do that with half and have some ready when you need it later or I am sure you could cut the recipe in half and it would be fine.  Also, I use the cheapest brands possible.  What ever is on sale or I have a coupon for is what we use. 

10 cans of beans - (2 each of the following - black beans, light red kidney beans, dark red kidney beans, pinto beans and great northern beans)
1 jar of mild salsa - if you prefer spicy chili you could go with a medium or hot salsa
1 bottle of veggie juice
3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 medium onions chopped
3 pounds hamburger
water
2 - 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese
sour cream

**Combine first 5 ingredients in a large stock pot
**Add in water to get it to the consistency you want
**Fry hamburger in skillet, drain off grease, and add to soup mixture
**Allow to simmer for an hour or so
**Serve

We like to top it with a little shredded cheddar cheese and a small amount of sour cream but you don't have to.  It tastes just fine without it.  I serve it with crackers (saltines or oyster) and/or peanut butter sandwiches. 

Super easy recipe!  I hope you enjoy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and reading your comments!

You can email me anytime at aheartformyhome(at)gmail(dot)com with comments, questions, suggestions for posts, etc..