Do You Pray For Your Children?

I am linking up this week again with Courtney Joseph from Women Living Well for her series on Top Ten Quotes on Marriage and Motherhood.

Top 10 Marriage and Motherhood Quotes

This week I wanted to share several passages out of one of my all time favorite books.  This book has helped me find just the right prayer to pray for my boys many times.  If you are a parent then you definitely need this book. 

The book is The Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian.  I have an ongoing series here on my blog that I started nearly a year ago where I go through this book chapter by chapter.  Stormie's book is packed full of powerful information and scripture to stand on while praying our children through life. 

Here are my top five favorite quotes taken out of Chapter 1 - yep, it's that good.  The following quotes are taken from the first chapter of the book.

"For it's the power of God that penetrates a child's life when a parent prays."

"When we don't pray, it's like saying we have no need of anything outside of ourselves."

"God knows our thoughts and our needs, but He responds to our prayers."

"It's not enough to pray only for the concerns of the moment;  we need to pray for the future, and we need to pray against the effects of past events."

"In fact, we don't even have to be parents.  We can be a friend, a teacher, a grandparent, an aunt, a cousin, a neighbor, a guardian, or even a stranger with a heart of compassion or concern for a child.  The child may be someone we hear of or read about in the newspaper;  the child may even be an adult for whom we have a mother's or father's heart.  If you're aware of a child who doesn't have a praying parent, you can step into the gap right now and answer that need.  You can effect a change in the life of any child you care about.  All it takes is a heart that says, "God, show me how to pray in a way that will make a difference in this child's life."  Then begin with the prayers in this book and see where the Holy Spirit leads you."


So my question to you this week:  "Do You Pray For Your Children?" 




5 comments:

  1. Hi Jen - I'm glad you linked up with Courtney, I have loved Stormie's books - although I haven't read this one. I have been making it a daily goal to pray for my boys, and although it should be such an easy job, it is hard sometimes. But the power in the prayer is easy to see, and I am hopeful that this discipline will impact my family when I am faithful. Thanks for sharing - I'd love to see more of your thoughts on this book. If you want to link up with me, I host a hop (open for a few more hours this week) and I'd love for you to join us!

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have that book! I've read most of it (...I must confess, I usually skim most books.) It's very good. I pray for my children every day...often, many times throughout the day. Now that I have grandchildren, there is hardly an end to the needs! But that's ok, because we have a mighty wonderful God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from the link up! I am currently in the middle of this book!! Our first baby is due in two weeks and I've really enjoyed spending time praying for him.
    -Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remembered seeing this link on FB earlier and came back because this is something so hard on my heart. I think we underestimate the power behind those prayers. He sits ready to move if we will only ask Him. Thank you, Jen, for reminding me just how important this is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes I pray for my children. I'm expecting my second one and have been praying over this child for 4 years! Actually to decide this babies name I asked God to guide us in naming our child. A few weeks before our ultrasound we where blessed with a boys name. From that moment on I new we were having a boy and the ultrasound just confirmed it! The power of prayer is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and reading your comments!

You can email me anytime at aheartformyhome(at)gmail(dot)com with comments, questions, suggestions for posts, etc..