Following Truth, Rejecting Lies

The summer my son went off to camp for the first time was a HUGE deal for me.  Other than the occasional night at the Grandparents or to a very close friends house my kids are always home with us.  I don't let them stay away from me very often and more than one night has happened only once before and that was with their Grandparents. 

I packed my son's Bible with a little note from me (his loving mother) securely tucked inside and sticking out only enough that he could see it telling him how proud I was and how much I loved him. 

When he came home and I was helping him unpack, I pulled his Bible out of the suitcase.  "So, did you read your Bible every day"? I asked.  "Yes"  he responded.  "What did you read?"  I inquired.  Then he went on to tell me some things that he had read.  As I looked at his Bible I noticed the note still inside, still in the same set of scripture, and still sticking out the same amount as I had fixed it the week before.  "So, did you get my note that I left you"?  I said.  "NOTE?"  My son questioned.  "Yes, my note I wrote for you".  I said  By this time it was obvious that he not only hadn't read my note but that he probably hadn't even opened his Bible the whole week he had been gone. 

After some talking he confessed that although he had intended to, he just hadn't gotten around to spending time in the Word.  I was bothered that he hadn't taken the time to read but even more than that was that he had lied when first asked.  He assumed he would get in trouble if he hadn't read and to avoid that or any conflict he chose poorly in telling his momma a lie, a fib, or whatever you want to call it.

The Bible clearly says that God and Jesus are TRUTH. 

John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

It also clearly says that the Devil is a LIAR. 

John 8:44  You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

It is important for our children to tell the truth.  The Bible also says that a tree is known by it's fruit.  So is a person known by the fruit they bear whether it be good or corrupt. 

Matthew 12:33  Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit.

I do as Stormie Omartian said she always did with her children and I pray and ask to show me what I need to see or know about my kids that may not be out in the open.  I ask God to show me the secret things and I also ask Him to make my Spirit sensitive to His leading.  God will show us what we need to see and know if we will ask and wait on Him.

Have you ever encountered lying with your children?


----------------------------------------------------------------------


From the Book

(The following are quotes and passages from Stormie Omartian in her book "The Power of a Praying Parent")
The more lies you tell, the more you place in your heart to Satan's lying spirit, until eventually you can't stop yourself from lying.
Stormie says she prays and asks God to reveal to her anything she needs to know about her children.

Proverbs 12:22  The Lord detests lying lips,  but he delights in people who are trustworthy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and reading your comments!

You can email me anytime at aheartformyhome(at)gmail(dot)com with comments, questions, suggestions for posts, etc..