Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

 
If you are looking for a quick and easy dessert to make this Labor Day weekend that looks like you have spent a long time making it and put great effort into it try my mom's recipe for Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.  Yes, it is a good as it looks and it is super easy to make!

Ingredients:
1 stick of melted butter (I melt it right in the bottom of my 9x13" cake pan in the preheated oven for a few minutes)
Brown Sugar - probably 1 cup
Pineapples - rings or crushed
Maraschino cherries
1 box of Yellow Cake Mix (any brand)

Directions:
**  Prepare cake mix as directed on box
**  In bottom of 9x13" cake pan put butter, brown sugar (enough to cover the entire bottom of pan), pineapple (and a small amount of juice - probably 1/4 - 1/2 cup), and cherries then pour your cake mix batter over it and bake it according to box instructions.
**  When cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan then flip it upside-down onto your cake board and enjoy!

Note:
In the picture above I used both pineapple rings and crushed pineapple around the rings.  I have used only crushed pineapple with and without cherries and I have used rings without putting the crushed pineapple around them and it all tastes great.  Just experiment and see what you like.  Personally I think this version "Looks" the best but like I said they all taste delicious!

I am wandering, if this type of cake is specific to my location (South Eastern United States) or do any of you have a similar cake to this that you make and love? 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gracious sake's alive (to borrow Granny's saying), that cake is gorgeous! I usually make mine in a iron skillet and turn it out onto a cake plate. (BTW, I'm in TN)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from Ontario, Canada!

    I have never made a Pineapple-Upside Down Cake, but I have made an upside-down cake using rhubarb and with apples.
    Here is the picture of the one I made with rhubarb: http://www.rhubarb-central.com/rhubarb-upside-down-cake.html
    Since rhubarb is a vegetable, I feel a little less guilty about eating the cake;)
    Great site btw, I will re-visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gin, I will have to try it in a cast iron skillet. Love that idea. I usually make cornbread in mine.

    Lois - Great to hear from Canada! I am going to have to try this. Can I just admit something to ya - I have never eaten rhubarb. Gonna have to try it!

    Thanks for your comments ladies! I love hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and reading your comments!

You can email me anytime at aheartformyhome(at)gmail(dot)com with comments, questions, suggestions for posts, etc..